You don’t have to work to achieve a “right.”
No One at a Tea Party rally ever behaved like this. What losers.
via Verum Serum
What do you call it when someone steals someone else’s money secretly? Theft. What do you call it when someone takes someone else’s money openly by force? Robbery. What do you call it when a politician takes someone else’s money in taxes and gives it to someone who is more likely to vote for him? Social Justice.
The average Californian, like the average Greek, forgot that civilization is fragile. Its continuance requires respect for the law, tough-minded education, collective thrift, private investment, individual self-reliance, and common codes of behavior and civility — and exempts no one from those rules. Such knowledge and patterns of civilized behavior, slowly accrued over centuries, can be lost in a single generation.
The Founding Fathers provide a framework and an “operating system” which allowed the country to prosper. These hearty men were wise, courageous and noble. They understood the nature of man and the danger of power. They established a system designed to protect people from both. They designed a form of governance to accommodate imperfect and less than honorable men. Their primary focus was on limiting the role and power of the federal government.
Not only is liberty a system under which all government action is guided by principles, but it is an ideal that will not be preserved unless it is itself accepted as an overriding principle governing all particular acts of legislation.
Where no such fundamental rule is stubbornly adhered to as an ultimate ideal about which there must be no compromise for the sake of material advantages—as an ideal which, even though it may have to be temporarily infringed during a passing emergency, must form the basis of all permanent arrangements—freedom is almost certain to be destroyed by piecemeal encroachments. For in each particular instance it will be possible to promise concrete and tangible advantages as the result of a curtailment of freedom, while the benefits sacrificed will in their nature always be unknown and uncertain.
If freedom were not treated as the supreme principle, the fact that the promises which a free society has to offer can always be only chances and not certainties, only opportunities and not definite gifts to particular individuals, would inevitably prove a fatal weakness and lead to its slow erosion.
It doesn’t matter where you came from.
Will be back from Alaska August 16.
One Year – Oak Tree
Imagine that Governor Palin had become president. Imagine that she had announced that Roe versus Wade in her view was unconstitutional and therefore the United States government would no longer protect anyone’s right to have an abortion because she personally had decided it should be changed. The news media would have gone crazy. The New York Times would have demanded her impeachment.
Here’s the whole speech at American Enterprise Institute (AEI).
Archived Videos – Thursday, February 10, 2011
- 9:15 AM Rep. Michele Bachmann (MN) Keynote Address
- 9:45 AM Sen. Ron Johnson (WI)
- 10:15 AM Sen. Pat Toomey (PA)
- 11:15 AM Rep. Kristi Noem (SD)
- 11:45 AM Rep. Raul Labrador (ID)
- 12:00 PM Senator Mitch McConnell (KY)
- 12:30 PM The Hon. Newt Gingrich
- 1:00 PM Reagan at 100: Role Model for the Next Generation
- 2:00 PM Hon. Rick Santorum
- 2:30 PM Traditional Marriage and Society
- 3:15 PM Wayne LaPierre, CEO of National Rifle Association
- 3:30 PM Donald Trump
- 4:00 PM Defender of the Constitution Award (Donald Rumsfeld)
- 4:30 PM Rep. Paul Ryan (WI)
- 7:30 PM Presidential Banquet: John Boehner, Media Fairness Caucus Award, Reince Priebus, Marco Rubio, Al Cardenas, Ray Stevens, and Arthur Brooks
Archived Videos – Friday, February 11, 2011
- 9:00 AM Public Attitudes Toward Security
- 9:20 AM Hon. Gary Johnson
- 9:30 AM Cutting Spending by the Spenders
- 10:30 AM Hon. Mitt Romney
- 11:00 AM Gov. Luis Fortuno (PR)
- 11:15 AM Rep. Tom Price (GA)
- 11:30 AM Rep. Marsha Blackburn (TN)
- 11:55 AM Presentation of the Blogger of the Year Award
- 12:00 PM It’s the Spending, Stupid!
- 1:00 PM Sen. John Barrasso (WY)
- 1:30 PM Sen. John Thune (SD)
- 2:00 PM Sen. Mike Lee (UT)
- 2:15 PM Do We Need a Constitutional Amendment to Stop the Spending?
- 3:00 PM Hon. Tim Pawlenty
- 3:30 PM Rep. Ron Paul
- 4:00 PM Gov. Rick Perry (TX)
- 4:30 PM Herman Cain
- 7:30 PM Ronald Reagan Banquet: Ronald Reagan Foundation, Jeane Jordan Kirkpatrick Academic Freedom Award, George Will, Gov. Mitch Daniels (IN), Courage Under Fire Award, Ronald Reagan Award, Jon David
Archived Videos – Saturday, February 12, 2011
- 9:00 AM Andrew Breitbart
- 9:30 AM Gov. Haley Barbour (MS)
- 10:00 AM David Horowitz
- 10:15 AM Defending Free Speech on Campus
- 11:00 AM Rep. Connie Mack (FL)
- 11:30 AM Bleeding America Dry: The Threat of Public Sector Unions
- 12:15 PM Repealing Obamacare: In The States, In Courts, and In Congress
- 1:00 PM Ambassador John Bolton
- 1:30 PM The New Nuclear Threat: China and North Korea
- 2:20 PM Presentation of the Lifetime Achievement Award (Pat Boone)
- 2:30 PM How to Think About Afghanistan
- 3:15 PM Rich Lowry
- 3:45 PM Ann Coulter
- 4:15 PM Rep. Peter Roskam (IL)
- 4:30 PM Changing the Conversation: Winning with Minorities, Women and Independents
- 5:15 PM Straw Poll Results
- 5:30 PM Rep. Allen West (FL)
Are 94% of Senate Bills Being Passed Without Senators Knowing What`s In Them? Or Even Voting On Them?
This came from Moonbattery from Loughner’s YouTube site.
Whatever you call Jared Loughner, don’t call him a patriot. Shooting a Congresswoman wasn’t his first gesture of deranged hatred toward America. Here’s the psycho burning our flag:
Update: I received a correction that this video was tagged as a “favorite” and was not on his own YouTube site.
I do not know how accurate this is (at 4:30 PM January 8th) on Rep. Gabrielle Giffords shooting today.
“The government is implying mind control and brainwash on the people by controlling grammar.”
via Atlas Shrugs.
And from the shooter’s YouTube Website:
His favorite books:
Animal Farm, Brave New World, The Wizard Of OZ, Aesop Fables, The Odyssey, Alice Adventures Into Wonderland, Fahrenheit 451, Peter Pan, To Kill A Mockingbird, We The Living, Phantom Toll Booth, One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest, Pulp,Through The Looking Glass, The Communist Manifesto, Siddhartha, The Old Man And The Sea, Gulliver’s Travels, Mein Kampf, The Republic, and Meno.
This guy is like a Mark David Chapman (John Lennon’s killer).
Some screenshots of the above video. They’re bound to remove the site pretty soon:
Loughner also had a MySpace page that has since been taken down.
Interesting posts on other postings in the hour after the shooting on American Power.
RightWingNews. with full text of killer’s crazy postings
Update 5:30 PM – this guy is such a nut job – very painful: